Stylish and soft, the Shahi Jute Rug offers a natural floor covering in a simple design that will sit well with many decor styles.
A new addition to The Dharma Door's first collection of natural floor coverings, this timeless rug has been handmade by fair trade artisans in remote, rural communities of Bangladesh. The women first plait long strands of jute, and then assemble the Shahi pattern while stitching the pieces together using needle and thread. Handcrafted from start to finish, the workmanship is meticulous, but always with that personal touch from the artisans.
The result is a contemporary jute rug design that adds warmth, texture and character to any space. An investment piece truly laden with meaningful making!
- 150cm diameter
- - Plaited jute fibres
- Each piece is meticulously crafted by hand stitching lengths of plaited jute in a circular fashion until the desired size is obtained.
- - Our rugs are crafted entirely by hand with natural jute and special care is required to maintain their beautiful appearance.
- We suggest regular vacuuming of both sides of your rug to keep it fresh and free of dirt build-up. Occasionally take your rug outside on a dry day and shake or beat it to dislodge deeper dirt particles that your vacuum may not extract.
- Avoid prolonged direct sunlight or heat as this will discolour the jute fibres.
- Blot water-based spills with kitchen paper or an absorbent cloth as soon as possible. Do not rub stains or spills from your rug as this may spread the stain and loosen the jute fibres. For oil-based or coloured spills, please consult a specialist rug cleaning professional.
- You may choose a rug protection treatment prior to installing the rug in your space to prolong the life of your rug and minimise discolouration. We recommend MicroSeal, who are experienced in treating jute rugs and offer a DIY kit or a professional treatment service.